The Luzerne Intermediate Unit Professional Development Department strives to provide quality professional development that has the power to increase school communities’ knowledge of academic content and skills. We believe that focused, ongoing, sustained and progressive professional development is essential to success, must be focused on student learning data and linked to achievement and comprehensive planning goals.
The mission of the Luzerne Intermediate Unit’s professional development is to provide school communities with a variety of professional development opportunities to improve content knowledge, skills and delivery of effective instructional practices.
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development opportunities are not limited to the topics in the subsequent pages. Please contact your district LIU #18 Single Point of Contact (SPOC) for future professional development needs. This website is intended as a resource only.
In an effort to maintain consistency between the Luzerne Intermediate Unit and our member districts, a Single Point of Contact (SPOC) was established. Each of the twelve school districts has been assigned a Professional Development Consultant to coordinate and facilitate professional development. As professional development providers, we are able to support and assist districts in their identified initiatives. A SPOC then acts as the liaison between the district and the facilitators of the various professional development opportunities which the Luzerne Intermediate Unit offers.
- Participate in planning for the district-wide initiatives as a member of the team
- Establish ongoing sustained and systemic professional development
- Act as a liaison to the IU responding to the needs of the district to determine new professional positions
- Disseminate information to the district regarding state wide initiatives
- Work collaboratively with district and IU staff to develop, implement, and maintain district initiatives
- Create an effective and efficient service delivery model to meet the needs of the district
- Establish and maintain ongoing communication with district personnel