Children Under Three Years Old: In Luzerne and Wyoming Counties, MHDS is the lead for all EI services. For more information, contact 570-831-7224 or visit: http://www.mhdslw.org/services/early-intervention-services
Early Intervention (EI) services within Luzerne and Wyoming Counties are provided to children ages Birth to three years of age who are experiencing a delay in their development. The children are evaluated and found to be eligible for special education services under the guidelines of the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) regulations.
Early Intervention in Pennsylvania consists of services and supports designed to help families with children who have developmental delays or disabilities. Early Intervention builds upon the natural learning that occurs in a child’s first few years of life. It is a process that promotes collaboration among parents, service providers and others, who are significantly involved with a child. The primary developmental areas are:
- Ability to move, see and hear – physical development
- Ability to talk, express needs – language and speech development
- Ability to relate to others – social and emotional development
- Ability to eat, dress and take care of themselves – self help (or adaptive) development
- Ability to think and learn – cognitive development
Infants and toddlers qualify for Early Intervention based on the following criteria:
- a 25% or greater delay in at least one area of development;
- a test performance of 1.5 standard deviations below the mean on an accepted standardized test;
- a medical condition or disease that puts the child at high risk for developmental delay or a clinician’s determination, called informed clinical opinion, that a concern exists even though it is not indicated by an assessment.
Children DO NOT need a diagnosis of intellectual disability to qualify for Early Intervention services. All children determined eligible receive free and appropriate services, regardless of the family’s assets or income.
Families, community persons, and service providers are invited to join the Local Interagency Coordinating Council (LICC), which addresses Early Intervention Services and supports in Luzerne and Wyoming Counties in Pennsylvania. For more information contact an Early Intervention Program Specialist at 570-831-7281 or visit http://www.mhdslw.org/services/early-intervention-services
- Authorization to Release Information for Children in Early Intervention
- Hearing Support Consent Form
- Orientation and Mobility (O&M) Support Consent Form
- Speech/ Language Support Consent Form
- Vision Support Consent Form
- Mandatory Training Log
- Consult Report
- Infant/Toddler Early Intervention Services Medicaid Billing Eligibility
- Initial Visit Parent Signature Form
- Location of Service Log